Learn the benefits of using a fit testing device like the 3M™ E-A-Rfit Dual-Ear Validation System in your workplace, in the final article in our four-part series on hearing protection fit testing.
How hearing protection fit testing can make a difference in your workplace
Incorporating ear fit testing within a hearing loss prevention program has numerous benefits to all types of workplaces. The list below highlights the most important reasons for using the 3M™ E-A-Rfit Dual-Ear Validation System to conduct employee hearing protector fit testing.
- Identify workers with low personal attenuation rating (PAR) who are consequently at risk for developing noise induced hearing loss (NIHL).
- Verify the performance of hearing protection devices (HPDs) without relying on laboratory-derived labels and derating schemes that are intended for groups of employees and not individual workers.
- Train and motivate employees on the proper use and fit of HPDs – earplugs and earmuffs.
- Select and assign HPDs based on noise exposures, expected protection levels and the anatomy of the worker’s ear canal.
- Train personnel responsible for teaching employees the proper use and fit of HPDs.
- Provide a useful significant-threshold-shift (STS) follow-up procedure that can be used to determine whether the problem may be related to either the fit or the attenuation capabilities of the HPD.
- Provide data that may be accepted by regulatory agencies as a better alternative to using labeled attenuation values and derated to assess HPD adequacy.
- Audit departments to evaluate overall HPD effectiveness and suitability.
- Provide potentially useful documentation to demonstrate hearing loss prevention efforts conducted by a company that goes beyond regulatory requirements.
- Employ a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to share and store employee results.
If you’re wondering whether the 3M™ E-A-Rfit Dual-Ear Validation System is a good fit for your company, we’d love to give you a demo and show you how it can enhance your workplace hearing loss prevention program.